Special Thanks to WxWorx for sponsoring my trip by providing live onboard XM weather
Click HERE to track me using Air Traffic Control
Click my airplane for a larger view of my internal GPS tracker

Click HERE to see my detailed Itinerary (updated 6/28/09)

ARRIVING AT MILLION AIR IN ALBANY at 6PM 7/31/09

SEE my Final Route Map for the stats

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reconnecting with the past - Instant Gratification

I must admit that there are few things that catch me off guard these days. Today, it happened twice!! When I was in grade school, I had a good friend named Michael. His family moved from Peabody to Cape Cod around 1976 and we lost touch. My family never traveled, so even a short trip from the North Shore to Cape Cod was out of the question. I remember being told that he stopped by my house to visit one day in 1980 or 1981, but I was in school. I began planning this trip in 2007 and I was determined to reconnect with him. Through my research back then, I actually had tracked down his address, though I wasn't sure it was correct. Knowing that his family owned a chain of restaurants in the Boston area, I decided to call one today in order to track him down. I figured that I might get the MaƮtre de, so I began by asking if the family still owned the restaurant. The answer was yes. Next, I began to mention that I was searching for a long lost friend, someone I hadn't seen or spoken to in about 33 years. To my astonishment, the voice on the other end of the line said "I'm Michael!" I really wasn't even prepared for that. I was in shock, and I was thrilled to reconnect with an old friend.

An hour prior to this phone call, I set about locating another old childhood friend who I hadn't seen or spoken to in about 30 years, Scott. I was about 95% certain that I had tracked him down in Oregon and had a phone number and email address. I sent an email and received an immediate reply. It was him!

Based on this, I've added Hyannis, MA and Newport, OR to my itinerary. Life is sometimes filled with the mundane chores of day to day living. Moments like these are invigorating and remind you about the wonder and unexpected joys that await. I know that this trip is going to reinvigorate my spirit. I am blessed with the opportunity to pursue my passions each summer and I intend to do just that. I think this is the beginning of something bigger for me.

I am in the process of finalizing my itinerary. It is more well-defined than I previously imagined. The proposed route below is quite accurate now and includes most of my stops. Denver stands out as somewhat of a deviation, but I have so many good friends there, it simply cannot be missed. I will be posting the itinerary soon, and please let me know if you'd like me to add a stop to come visit!

See you in the air everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment