Special Thanks to WxWorx for sponsoring my trip by providing live onboard XM weather
Click HERE to track me using Air Traffic Control
Click my airplane for a larger view of my internal GPS tracker

Click HERE to see my detailed Itinerary (updated 6/28/09)

ARRIVING AT MILLION AIR IN ALBANY at 6PM 7/31/09

SEE my Final Route Map for the stats

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 26: Dallas, TX

Day 26: June 25th, Dallas: Today, my gracious hosts George and Susan Smith would take me around to see some of the sites. Unfortunately, the day was to again peak over 100 degrees, which is unusual for Dallas this early in the summer. George and Susan had the perfect solution: head to the Gaylord Texan. There are only four Gaylord hotels in the United States: Opryland, Orlando, Dallas, and DC. They are known for their opulence and grandiose scale. Their tagline is "Everything in One Place", and this was indeed the case for the Gaylord Texan. Not only do they have hotel rooms, restaurants, clubs, and shopping all under one roof, they present the whole state of Texas to you as well in lifesize diorama. Each portion of the hotel represents a different part of Texas, which saves you from having to visit every corner of this enormous state. Here, you will find a lifesize replica of the Alamo, an operating cafe at the edge of San Anonio's Riverwalk, and many other representations of the best Texas has to offer.

Immediately, as you enter the compound, you can tell that something amazing awaits. Everything is bigger in Texas. As we entered, the first thing I noticed was that it appeared I was looking through a darkened dining area into a huge sunlit atrium. I thought that would be wonderful, except for the fact that it was over 100 degrees outside. Well, the atrium isn't really outdoors, although it is fully bathed in sunlight. An enormous glass ceiling allows sunlight to flow in, but keeps everyone chilled in air conditioned comfort. This is a pretty amazing engineering feat and would allow us to explore Texas and stay cool. One of the first structures you see upon entering this enclosed atrium is the facade of the Alamo. It is a full-sized replica, representing every detail of the crumbling stone that comprises the top of the wall. Here, you can see Raymond, George, Susan, and I posing in front of the Alamo. It sure beats being out in the scorching sun at the real Alamo. OK, perhaps I'd like to visit the real deal someday, but not when it is over 100 degrees!





Next, we headed to San Antonio's Riverwalk. Here, they have reproduced an outdoor cafe along the river, but once again, you are actually inside of a full enclosed structure, keeping the environment at a cozy 75 degrees. I was told that the temperature at the actual Riverwalk is unbearable at this time of year. Thank god for the Gaylord and their ability to pay their air conditioning bill.






One of the owners of the Gaylord must be a train enthusiast, because the hotel is lined with model train tracks running through very realistic towns and scenery. One little item I noted was a man whitewashing a billboard in miniature. His arm was moving up and down with a roller running along the billboard. Model cars and miniature restaurants and stores lined the city streets as the train cars whisked along, some puffing smoke.





What visit to Texas would be complete without your picture next to a longhorn steer. This steer was preserved from the dinner table so that visitors to the Gaylord could pose and have their picture taken with him. Well, actually, this steer was so well preserved that he didn't actually MOOOOOOve.







In order to be a real Texas cowboy, one has to procure some cowboy boots and a big old Stetson. I really started getting in to the Texas spirit here, until I saw the Texas-sized price tags. But I looked good as a cowboy, good enough that a sketch artist put together a wonderful caricature of me flying my plane over Texas.







I was impressed, as the likeness is stunning. I'll treasure that sketch as a memento of my visit to Texas. Unfortunately, it got left behind in a mailing tube, but Susan is sending it back to Albany for me.









After visiting the Gaylord, the next stop was La Hacienda Ranch for some good old Tex/Mex. I swear, that's all anybody eats down there! Before you are seated, your cardiac health is put to the test as you must endure an attack by a large bear at the front door.
Inside, it is all Texas. Some of the bar stools are actually saddles!! Too many drinks and you are liable to get saddle sores. You can eat in the main dining room, or if you prefer, in the trophy room, which is lined with the taxidermist's best mounts. We enjoyed a fajita for 4 dish that provided almost double the food we would eat that evening. The leftovers would be a meal in itself for the next day.

The Smith's were wonderful hosts and truly made me feel at home. I would end up spending a few nights at their house in Keller, TX. The next day, however, it was time to connect with a friend from RPI, Scott Lowden. We hadn't seen each other in many years, but we each looked forward to reconnecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment