Special Thanks to WxWorx for sponsoring my trip by providing live onboard XM weather
Click HERE to track me using Air Traffic Control
Click my airplane for a larger view of my internal GPS tracker

Click HERE to see my detailed Itinerary (updated 6/28/09)

ARRIVING AT MILLION AIR IN ALBANY at 6PM 7/31/09

SEE my Final Route Map for the stats

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 25: Austin and Dallas, TX

Day 25: June 24th, Austin and Dallas, TX. Firstly, I want to mention that I am doing my best to catch up on the blog. I am several days behind, but I am making other things a priority, such as spending time with friends and carefully planning my flights. Also, I want to thank everyone who has been sending me emails about my health. I am now feeling much better and have gotten past whatever sickness was getting in the way of the trip. Sure, I'm exhausted on some days, because sometimes I fly 9 hours in a day, but I'm otherwise feeling great now.

On this morning, I tried to get a relatively early start, but I knew that my friend in Austin would be working until the late afternoon and the weather would not be a factor, so I didn't have to rush out at 7am. The cab came to the hostel where I was staying and took me to the Lakefront airport in New Orleans. I had already fueled up a few days earlier, so I would only need to preflight, hop in the airplane, and activate my IFR flight plan. I had filed to land at Lakeway Airpark, a public-use airpark lined with private homes on the southern shoreline of Lake Travis in Austin, TX. It was to be about a 4 hour flight. I believe I planned well, in terms of the departure time. I didn't want to depart too early, otherwise, I would be left waiting at Lakeway in Austin; however, I didn't want to leave New Orleans too late, because the temperature would be soaring to over 100 degrees. I left at about 10am, when the temperature was just a chilly 90 degrees. Before departing, I went back into the FBO in New Orleans and used their phenomenal pilot briefing room. They had 4 computer workstations, each with huge widescreen monitors. The computers were very fast, which made planning a breeze. Also, they had a laser printer, where I could print out the approach plates and STARs (Standard Terminal ARrival procedures) that I would need.

I have been using the powerful flight planning tools at FltPlan.com and because of this, I seem to be able to nail the preferred IFR routing. I usually get an "As Filed" clearance, which is very convenient. If they give you a new reroute, you have to reprogram the GPS, look up the new navaids, and replan your route in the air when you possibly could be trying to concentrate on flying in instrument conditions (in the clouds). For this flight, the routing took me south of Lafayette and Lake Charles, LA and then over Beaumont and near Houston, TX. I did indeed receive the "As Filed" clearance because I had seen other pilots get this routing, however, I got rerouted just before approaching Houston. For some reason, controllers seemed to have lost my flight plan as I crossed into the great state of Texas. They asked me if I was IFR and who had given me this routing. I explained to them that I had filed IFR and received my clearance in New Orleans. They next rerouted me to the north of Houston, explaining to me that I was not allowed to fly over Houston for some reason. There were no restrictions on the map, nor was I briefed about any temporary flight restrictions there, but, nonetheless, controllers did not want me flying over Houston.

I passed by Austin's International airport and located the Lakeway Airpark along the southern shoreline of Lake Travis. As I entered the traffic pattern, I could see that this public-use airport was lined with private homes on either side, each one with their own hangar with taxiways that led to the runway. Each home there is clearly a pilot's dream house. After landing, I taxied in to the self-service fuel pump and filled my tank. It was over 100 degrees on the ground and the black tarmac served as a thermal radiator making it feel even hotter. Sweat was dripping off my forehead as I fueled the airplane and pushed it into position at a tiedown spot. Next, I was hoping to cool off at the FBO, but the only problem was that there was no FBO here, only a private clubhouse. You could sit in the shade just in front of the clubhouse, but the door indicated that it was for Members Only and you needed a code to enter. I was really suffering in the heat and needed to cool off, so I walked up to an enormous mansion with an enormous hangar which housed an enormous Malibu airplane. I explained my situation to the owner and he graciously gave me the code to the door and offered me some cold soda. I sat in the clubhouse for a few hours waiting for an old friend from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) to arrive with his son. Interestingly enough, once in the private clubhouse, I read a note on the inside of the door which admonished members to never give out the code. In this 100 degree heat, I was sure that someone would have a little compassion and override that rule.

Kevin Keller pulled in and we were off to a well-known Austin favorite right on Lake Travis, the Oasis! It is a very eclectic restaurant replete with the style of off-beat and avant garde art and architecture that Austin is known for. There, I found my new aircraft, the Oasis spaceship. I'm not sure this craft is airworthy, but it makes for a nice conversation piece. This was my first time in Texas and I proceeded to dine on Tex/Mex, the first of many such meals. I drank lots of fluids to overcome my dehydration and we took in the view of Lake Travis. Kevin and I were able to catch up and I noted how interesting it was that even after not seeing a person for 20 years, one is able to quickly pick up where you left off, as if 20 years was a few months.

Kevin returned me to the airport, and I was on to my next stop, Northwest Regional airport in Dallas, TX. I again had an IFR flight plan, which greatly simplifies navigating complicated airspace like Dallas's Class B airspace. Once you've determined your routing, you follow Air Traffic Control's lead and don't necessarily have to worry about the boundaries of different kinds of airspace. I landed at Northwest Regional at sunset and caught this beautiful photograph just before touchdown. I taxied up to the self-service fuel pump and could see a pickup truck driving towards me. I flashed my lights as Susan Smith, her husband George, and her son Raymond welcomed me to Dallas, TX! Despite being late in the day, it was still quite hot, so sweat was dripping from my forehead as we pushed the airplane into its parking spot, drove tiedown stakes into the grass, and put the cover on the airplane. I was so happy to hop in their air conditioned pickup and head back to their house for a little rest and relaxation. The Smith's were very gracious hosts and made me feel right at home. I would spend the next several days with them and later, I would connect with another old friend from RPI, Scott Lowden.

No comments:

Post a Comment