Special Thanks to WxWorx for sponsoring my trip by providing live onboard XM weather
Click HERE to track me using Air Traffic Control
Click my airplane for a larger view of my internal GPS tracker

Click HERE to see my detailed Itinerary (updated 6/28/09)

ARRIVING AT MILLION AIR IN ALBANY at 6PM 7/31/09

SEE my Final Route Map for the stats

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 8: Aquebogue, NY (Long Island)

Day 8: June 7th, Aquebogue, NY. I spent today with some of my best friends: The Spaeth Family. I met Peter and Donna way back in 1984, freshman year at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). Pete was my neighbor in our dorm, Hall Hall. Isn't that a ridiculous name for a dorm? Anyway, we became instant friends even before classes began and have been close friends ever since. We worked together at a company called InterScience in Troy, NY after college. Pete & Donna spent some time in Troy after college, but then returned to Long Island where they had two wonderful kids: Veronica and Jonah. I am Jonah's godfather. Despite the
distance, we have kept close, and the airplane has made that easier. I can't remember the last time I actually DROVE to Long Island.

I am always made to feel part of the extended family, and it's a large family of parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. Today, I was there to experience what has been an annual event: Uncle Augie's Toy Run. Every year around this time, Uncle Augie brings all the kids to Toys R Us and allows them to buy one item that is $100 in value or below. You have to be sixteen or under to participate, so I guess I didn't qualify, but I asked for a new airplane anyway.

So, the extended family began streaming into Toys R Us, waiting out front for Augie to arrive. When he said the word, all the kids streamed into the store. Of course, since only one item is allowed, he jokingly stands over by the yo-yo's and whatnot, trying to tempt the kids to pick a $5 item. The kids would have none of that and bolted straight for electronics, bicycles, remote controlled trucks, and iPod accessories. Here you can see Augie and a group of very happy children posing with their booty. From there, we all went back to Augies for pizza, hotdogs, and beer. What a great thing to look forward to: Xmas in June!

Next stop: Martha Clara Vineyards. Donna works here and Pete & I have sung many a gig here.














We decided to take a horse-drawn carriage tour of the 200 acre compound, 120 acres of which contain the vines that are harvested for the variety of wines they produce here. On the premises is the Entenmann estate, tracks for training race horses, a variety of other animals, vines, and all the equipment necessary to harvest the grapes and produce and bottle a fine Long Island wine. You are looking at the Merlot vines. There are just rows and rows of vines, looking out towards infinity!



Finally, back at the house, Pete & Donna whipped up a feast to send me off. Here's Pete grilling up some Cheriyaki Chicken, yes Cherry-flavored Teryaki sauce!

It's been 8 days, but has the trip really begun? I'm only a few hundred miles away on Long Island. The answer is YES! I've had so many wonderful experiences already seeing the friends I love so much and realize that THIS is what this trip is all about. Looking at the itinerary, I am amazed to see how many good friends I have, and this enriches me. To be able to see ALL of them in one summer is a feat that few can accomplish and I'm so excited to continue.

Staying close to home has allowed me to shake down the airplane, my supplies, and the new electronic toys I purchased for the trip. Everything seems to working well! Tomorrow, I will probably see 5-7 people in Bridgeport, 1 person near Poughkeepsie, then end up in New York where I will connect with 4 different friends and their families. I STILL haven't decided which airport I'm going to land to get into New York. The options are: Teterboro, NJ; Linden, NJ; or Farmingdale, NY (LI). There is public transportation available at each to allow me to get into Manhattan. I'm leaning against Teterboro, because the prices are outrageous there. There is a LOT of corporate jet traffic there, and they can afford it. I'll decide tonight, based on how easy it is to access public transportation and how much they charge for landing and parking. Some say Linden is a great gateway airport, but others don't like it. I'm leaning towards Linden. I'll update you late tomorrow about the adventures that await. Keep track of my airplane on the website. Remember, if you click the picture of my plane, a larger tracking map comes up. When I'm flying, hit refresh every once and a while to update my position.

No comments:

Post a Comment