Special Thanks to WxWorx for sponsoring my trip by providing live onboard XM weather
Click HERE to track me using Air Traffic Control
Click my airplane for a larger view of my internal GPS tracker

Click HERE to see my detailed Itinerary (updated 6/28/09)

ARRIVING AT MILLION AIR IN ALBANY at 6PM 7/31/09

SEE my Final Route Map for the stats

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 5: Martha's Vineyard

Day 5: June 4th - Spent the day on Martha's Vineyard, one of my favorite places! I got up, had breakfast at the hostel - some pancakes, toast, and oatmeal, made a few sandwiches for the road and headed out on the bike. One thing I'm noticing is that I just not in the kind of shape I have been in previous visits. I used to be able to cruise around the island at between 18 and 20 mph, now I'm only going 14-15 mph.
Last year, I had knee surgery on my right knee to repair a mensicus tear. That knee is doing well, but now my left knee is acting up and will probably need surgery also. That has been slowing me down a bit, not to mention my lack of cardio-vascular conditioning. Guess the warranty is up! Other than being a bit slower, I can still get around and was able to tour the island today. A few people commented on my high-tech bike setup. On the handlebars, I have my mirror, bike computer, LED light, and my iPhone! I bought a bike-mount for the iPhone and it is nice to have everything at my fingertips while I'm biking.



No trip would be complete with a visit to the Black Dog. I checked out the tavern, the general store, and the bakery. They also have a stand-alone shop just for kids clothing.




From Vineyard Haven, I made my way to Oak Bluffs, riding by the scenic East Chop light house.














Next, a stop at the famous Mad Martha's ice cream shop, and then on to the gingerbread houses of the Methodist Camp Meeting Association.















I finished the day with a free movie put on by the Oak Bluffs library. Free movie, popcorn, tea and soda! I love Martha's Vineyard. It was a recent Dustin Hoffman film called Last Chance Harvey. So, tomorrow, I get up early for another hostel breakfast, bike back to the airport and take off early for Newport, RI. Looks like lower ceilings are coming in beyond noontime, so I need to take off early. I'll be filing another instrument flight plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment