Special Thanks to WxWorx for sponsoring my trip by providing live onboard XM weather
Click HERE to track me using Air Traffic Control
Click my airplane for a larger view of my internal GPS tracker

Click HERE to see my detailed Itinerary (updated 6/28/09)

ARRIVING AT MILLION AIR IN ALBANY at 6PM 7/31/09

SEE my Final Route Map for the stats

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 6: Newport, RI

Day 6: Friday, June 5th. I got up early on Martha's Vineyard so that I could get an early start and fly to Newport in the best possible conditions. The weather was deteriorating as the day progressed. I biked to the airport, paid my landing fee, and packed up the plane for the short flight to Newport. As I have on almost all my legs now, I filed IFR. Martha's Vineyard had lower clouds, meaning that only aircraft under Instrument flight plans could depart. Despite these cloud layers, I managed to remain clear of the clouds for the entire trip. I did make a localizer approach into Newport anyway.

Here in Newport, I was greeted by Linda, the mom of a good friend, Kevin Bongiovanni. Linda lives very close to the airport, and she's always excited to have me fly in. Next, I met up with Kevin and his wife Stephanie and the boys: Avery and Evan. The boys had a romping good time with their uncle Joel and really gave me quite the workout! Afterwards, they entertained me with their American Idol audition.

As always, surprises await me. I hadn't latched the door adequately, and it popped open a bit in flight. It's not a big deal, since the air flow will keep the door shut, but with the mist and rain I was flying through, I got a little moisture in the cockpit. I tried closing the door, but the air pressure, the door latch would just not line up. So, I was thinking to myself: I'm flying IFR and monkeying with the door, which is more important. I gave up on the door and just flew to Newport.

Tomorrow, it's off to one of my usual destinations, Mattituck, NY, located on the north fork of Long Island. There, I'll be met by my good friends Peter & Donna Spaeth. We'll be wagering on the Belmont Stakes and perhaps heading out to see the new Will Ferrell movie.

I've been out here for almost 1 week, with 7 more weeks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment