Special Thanks to WxWorx for sponsoring my trip by providing live onboard XM weather
Click HERE to track me using Air Traffic Control
Click my airplane for a larger view of my internal GPS tracker

Click HERE to see my detailed Itinerary (updated 6/28/09)

ARRIVING AT MILLION AIR IN ALBANY at 6PM 7/31/09

SEE my Final Route Map for the stats

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wow - GPS Tracking, Blog, and Twitter Feed on one page

Ok, so I'm little bit behind the curve on this whole Web 2.0 phenomenon, but I'm catching up. This is the first real Blog I've ever published and that's something that folks have been doing for years now (that's centuries in Internet time). I joined Facebook a few years ago and only within the last 6 months has my account gone crazy now that everyone in my age group jumped on the bandwagon. Also, everyone's had been talking about Twitter and I thought, why the heck do I need to be on yet another social networking site. I'm not that social to begin with :) Well, in putting this blog together, I now see a convergence of technologies and see the real benefit of Twitter in this context. The blog itself is the place for me to write a long-winded diatribe like this one and post videos and pictures. But it takes some effort to compose the thoughts that go into a blog entry. Enter Twitter - From my cell phone I can microblog or just quickly type (in a 140 characters or less) what is going on at that very moment and perhaps attach one photo. There's definitely a place for that, and for me, it appears on the right-hand column of this blog. So, I can compose long-winded blog entry like this one, or just type a quick message about what's happening, and either way, it appears on this page! What I love about this is that I can give one website out and people don't have to chase down all of the different social networking sites I use. In addition, I have a GPS tracking application for my cellphone and was able to add a live map at the top of this page. Hitting refresh will update my position if I'm moving. Also, clicking on the airplane photo will bring up a much bigger live map. You'll be tracking my airplane in flight!

So, now I have a way to communicate with all 2 of the people that are interested in what I'm doing. Hahaha. Anyway, I'm just excited to have found a medium that mashes all of the technologies I want to use to document this cross-country adventure I'm embarking on. I love the fact that I will be documenting the trip in real-time, people can keep track of exactly where I am and what I'm up to, and that the blog will then be an archive I look back to later.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jason! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this flying trip and grateful that this page is going to work so well to keep folks up to date as to where I am and what's up. I'm questioning whether I'll have anything meaningful to say, but we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel:

    I'm looking forward to following your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel..Looking forward to tracking your adventure also..sounds so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all .. I'm definitely looking forward to it, and I wanted to share it all in realtime, and it looks like the way I got this site organized matches my goals. It will be nice know that you'll be tagging along - virtually. I also intend to see as many of my old friends face to face along this journey .. that's the whole intent.

    ReplyDelete